Tuesday 22 September 2009

Birth Notes

My due date was 26Th August.It came and went and i felt nothing.I had my Midwife appointment and she suggested a Membrane Sweep - which i declined.I wanted things to start naturally and was getting impatient that why things are not happening quickly.I knew that first pregnancies are often delayed.She also told me that baby is big for my height.After the appointment A and i went for a coffee locally and i spoke to one of his colleague about her birth story.

Saturday -early morning i started getting slight labour pains. I took Paracetamol which gave me some relief and i slept for few hours.By evening the pain was getting unbearable and A suggested that we should go to Hospital.I knew that it was of no use but as my parents and A felt that i should be seen by a Midwife.. i had to give in.
In Hospital - I was seen in the Triage Unit where Baby's heart beat was monitored.Midwife told me that i am in very early stages of labour and not dilated at all.We all came back home as this was the answer i was expecting.I could not sleep at night and started getting contractions which were 10 minutes apart.

Sunday- My contractions were fairly irregular as they were sometimes 10-14 mts apart. Again that late night around midnight we went to hospital and midwife told me i am only 2cm dilated.I came back home around 2 am. I took a hot water bath and it did give me some mild relief but after a while it became unbearable.

Monday :-We decided to go to hospital again around 5 am.
I was finally admitted to the Labour Ward around 7 am.Pain was getting beyond my control but midwife told me that i was again only 2-3 cm dilated. According to them i was still in the early stages of labour but i felt as if it was enough for me.

After seeing that i am unable to bear the pain - i was given Pethidine injection which gave me immense relief and i was knocked out for few hours. I remember i was in and out of sleep. Again after few hours i was examined and told that i am still 2-3 cm dilated.This time it was decided that my waters will be broken. The waters were broken and i was told to go for a walk around the hospital.By this time my contractions were irregular but as the effect of injection was going down i started getting the pains.Now i started using the Gas and Air which was effective for an hour or so but after that i was getting hysterical with pain.I also had a hot water bath in the hospital and it helped me pass 2 hrs.

Around 4:30 pm i was given Epidural - which finally got my misery to an end.I was told that my contractions are fairly regular and now i am 6 -7 cm dilated.
I was also told that it is quite a possibility that baby is not getting enough oxygen.My Blood Pressure was going low and therefore they decided to do a Foetal Blood Scan of the baby. They did this thrice in a span of 2 hrs. The result came out fine.Now i was full 10 cm dilated.By 9 in the evening i was so exhausted and disoriented that i had lost the urge to push the baby.During the entire process i also threw up quite a few times. There were 4 doctors who were now involved in my delivery.They tried to use Ventouse twice but were not able to take the baby out.

Finally after a lot of struggle and with the use of Forceps my baby was born at 10:45pm in the night.I suffered a major blood loss and my haemoglobin came down to 7 which led to blood transfusion.Even after the Blood Transfusion my haemoglobin level was 7 and the doctor was suggesting that again two units of blood needs to be given. I decided against that and requested them to discharge me. So on the fourth day i came back home with my baby.